FAQs - Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)

Q:  How can I update or verify that the information in DEERS is correct?

A:  You may verify or update DEERs in one of the following ways:

  1. Visit a local ID card office to add/remove family members. Call first to verify business hours or to set up an appointment. 
  2. Update your addresses, e-mail address and phone numbers online.
  3. Call 1-800-538-9552 to update your addresses, email address and phone numbers. (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883).
  4. Fax address, e-mail address or phone number changes to 1-831-655-8317
  5. Mail changes and supporting documentation to:  

Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
Attn: COA
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA  93955-6771


Q:  My sponsor is deployed.  How can I update DEERS?

A:  If your sponsor is not available, family members can update DEERS with a valid Power of Attorney.


Q:  Where can I go to update my information for DEERS online?

A:   Please go to the following website online and update your information: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/address/login/SelectLogin.do.


Q: Does my sponsor have to be with me to get an ID card?

A:  Yes, with the following exceptions:

  • If the sponsor signs DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) in front of a Verifying Official, the family  member may bring this form unaccompanied by the sponsor.
  • If the sponsor signs DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) and has it notarized, the family member may bring this form unaccompanied by the sponsor.
  • The family member may sign the DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) using a general power of attorney (P.O.A.).
  • If none of the above, a 90 day temporary card may be issued


Q:  What documentation is needed to add, remove or make changes to DEERS?

A: The sponsor will always need original or true certified supporting documentation to make any changes, (i.e. Birth, Death, Marriage Certificate, Social Security Cards, Divorce, Adoption, and Custody Decrees).


Q: If the sponsor is deployed, how can a family member receive an ID card?

A: The dependent should bring documentation stating deployment, and legal documentation. if someone needs to be added to sponsor's record in DEERS.


Q: What is required for a Disabled American Veteran (DAV) to receive an ID card?

A:  To receive a DAV ID card, the person must bring:

  • The letter from the Office of Veteran Affairs (VA) stating that they are 100% disabled and have entitlements to the Commissary and Post Exchange.
  • The Service Members DD Form 214 (Honorable Discharge from Active Duty)
  • Picture ID and supporting documentation for any and all family members to be added.

NOTE: A Disabled American Veterans ID card entitles them to Commissary and Post Exchange privileges only. Medical is handled by VA.


Q: I have been divorced for several years but DEERS just sent me a letter telling me that my spouse will be terminated on DEERS shortly and I must update him/her as soon as I can. What is going on?

A: You must go to the nearest ID card office and terminate your spouse in DEERS. This is the only way that DEERS knows that this dependent is no longer eligible. The ID card office is the only place that can notify DEERS of divorce, death, birth etc..


Q: I am a widow or widower of a deceased military member and have obtained legal custody of a child or have adopted a child. Can I place that child in DEERS under my sponsors DEERS record?

A: NO!!! There is no relationship between the child and the sponsor at the time of the sponsor's death, the child is therefore NOT ELIGIBLE to be enrolled into DEERS.


Q: When must I notify DEERS of any change in dependent's status?

A: DEERS must be notified immediately upon a change in status of a dependent, such as a dependent enters the military, turned 21 but is not going to college, sponsor and spouse divorce, sponsor marries or re-marries, just to name a few.


Q: Are Military Family Members Automatically Enrolled in TRICARE?

A: No, family members are not automatically enrolled in the military's health care plan known as TRICARE.

Before family members are eligible to receive TRICARE benefits the service member must first enroll his or her dependents in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). This requirement applies to all U.S. military service members.


Read more about DEERS

Sources consulted: http://www.uscg.mil/petaluma/Services/CSC/idcards/faq.asp


Indtai, Inc. © 2007 - 2013