Permissive TDY and Excess Leave

Have you wondered how much time you can take to find a new house before you separate?  How about looking for a job?  Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY) and Excess Leave are designed to give you information on what the rules say regarding the amount of time allowed if you are planning to relocate. 

In this Resource:

  • Excess Leave
  • Transition Permissive Temporary Duty

This program authorizes time away from your assigned duties to assist with the types of things you’ll need to do in your transition.  It allows you the time to look for a job and go house hunting without taking leave.  There are certain restrictions about returning to your separation site so you need to check with your command and personnel office for details.  You may be able to request excess leave or PTDY, but not both.  Granting PTDY or excess leave is subject to mission requirements and the approval of your unit commander. 

With this program, each person is given enough time to relocate.  The timeframes for each program are 30 days or less for excess leave and 10 days or less for transition PTDY.  Usually, PTDY is recommended because excess leave is not a duty status and should only be used in rare circumstances.  Excess leave is not available for retirees.  Regardless of which route you take, neither can interfere with military missions. 

The first step to establishing your eligibility is through your Separation Program Designator (SPD) code. You must have separated with a SPD code that provides transition benefits.  If you do not know your SPD code and what benefits you are eligible for, check with the personnel office for specific information on your SPD code. 

Individuals who are eligible include:

  • Members who involuntarily separated under honorable conditions(including Variable Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB);
  • Retiring individuals (including transfer to the fleet reserve and disability retirements);
  • Members who are being discharged for medical reasons.  Certain conditions apply, but you may be eligible upon receipt of separation;

Time Frames

If you are a retiree or separating with an SPD code that confers transition benefits you may take up to 20 days PTDY for job hunting, house hunting, or other relocation activities.

If you are stationed overseas (or if you are a non-CONUS resident not stationed at your home of record) you may take up to 30 days PTDY. 

If you are overseas and you have a legal residence in the States and you plan to return to your home state after involuntary separation or retirement you may be authorized up to a total of 30 days transition PTDY.  The domicile is defined as your home of record, or the place from which you were called-up or ordered to active duty, the place of first enlistment, or your place of permanent legal residence.

If you are overseas and not planning to return to your OCONUS location after involuntary separation or retirement, then you may only receive a maximum of 20 days transition PTDY authorization.

Rules you should be aware of when it comes to PTDY:

  • You cannot combine it with liberty weekends, special liberty, or holidays, to extend the period of actual job/house hunting activities beyond the days authorized. 
  • It can also be taken in conjunction with chargeable leave at no cost to the government. 
  • It may be taken in conjunction with terminal leave immediately upon completion of all separation processing. 
  • You can take the PTDY all at once, or in increments, except in cases of disability retirement or separation in which time constraints dictate that it is taken all at once, or not at all.

Sources consulted for this resource:

Parts of this article were extracted from the Department of Defense (DoD) Instruction 1332.36:,  Army Regulation 600–8–10: and the DoD Instruction 1327.06:

Indtai, Inc. © 2007 - 2013